Sunday, October 2, 2011

A F R I C A

Sorry, the so called "internet" service here won't, (or should I say I don't have the time to wait for it), upload any photos so I'll have to wait until we get a faster service or go to the mission home, because they have a faster service, to place any photos on our blog.  In the meantime-

WE ARE HERE IN AFRICA!  There are no words, pictures or stories that can even come close to describing what it's like here.  Africa is loud, yet the people are quiet.  It is like an anthill with all the people and cars going everywhere, but it is somewhat organized.  Driving is crazy, yet polite.  I know if people drove in Arizona the same way they drive here, there would be fights and shootings every day.  Yet there is not.

And the people, they are wonderful.  They have a saying here "Akwaaba".  It means "You're Welcome".  Not as we use it as a follow up to thank you, but they are saying You Are Welcome Here.  We hear it a lot and don't see to many that look like they resent us being here.  When we get sullen stares from the people, we try to do something to make them smile or laugh at us.  Most of the time it works, but there are some who refuse, just as there are anywhere.

We were informed when we received our call and when we were at the MTC, they spoke English in Ghana.  I don't know where they got their information because I have heard lots of Ghanians  (pronounced Ganayans) speak and it doesn't sound like english to me.  If they speak english at all, it is usually their second, or third or keep going, language.  There are about 50 different dialects spoken here in Ghana depending on where you are.  For example, we were introduced to a man who is a member of the church.  When we asked his name, he said in his form of english, Abott.  At least that's what I thought he said.  So we asked him again for clarification and he again said, Abott.  It sounded a lot like the last name of our daughter Mandy Abbott.  So we asked him to spell it.  A l b e r t.  Oh, you mean Albert.  No, he said, it's Abott.  I'm going to need extra help on this one.

We are now in a town called Ho.  The population is about 50,000, more or less and there is one branch here that has about 430 members but only 120 or so come to church.  Sounds a lot like the Cave Creek ward.  We will tell you more about the branch as time goes on and we get to know it better.

Things I have learned so far here in Africa:
Everything is either damp, wet or really wet.  I have never seen so many different shades of green in my life.  It's definitely not a dry heat.  When someone says "I will go to your church someday", it's a polite way of telling you "I have no interest in you church whatsoever, but have a nice day".  Everything is so expensive here.  A small bottle of Mustard is 5.50 Cedis, pronounced like cd's (their form of currency.  It takes about 1.50 cedis to make a US dollar).  They drive really crazy here, but there are a lot less accidents than at home.  I could go on and on, but in the interest of time, I will save some for later.

We are really grateful to be here and to be serving the Lord and the people of Ghana.  There are so many that made this possible it would take almost as much room to thank them all.  Picture soon, I promise.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're settling in! :) Can't wait to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete